Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Back To the Blog

So I should probably begin by apologizing for the extremely long time that has elapsed since my last post. I have been busily studying up to get my Helicopter Aircraft Commander qualification. Apart from getting our wings, making Aircraft Commander is the most important qual that we get as pilots.

In order to become HACs, we have to undergo a HAC Board with the XO and all the department heads available. They started out by asking me several questions about the aircraft, flight rules, squadron procedures and other related knowledge. After that is done they took turns giving me several scenarios designed to test my judgement and decision making capabilities when presented with emergencies in various missions that I may be called upon to fly. After everybody had asked their questions, they had me step out into the hallway so they could deliberate my fate. Then they called me back in and the XO informed me that I had passed my board. So now I am fully qualified to command a mission in an MH-60S.

I also passed one other milestone back on May 1st when I was promoted to full Lieutenant (O-3). So now I have two silver bars on my collar (actually, they're on my shoulders in my flight suit) instead of one. It also meant a pretty sizeable raise, which is really what I was looking forward to with the promotion.

A couple of posts ago I talked about buying fake watches out in town. Well, as kind of a reward for my promotion and making HAC, I decided to purchase the real thing. One of my buddies back home was puting together an order with Omega for their Speedmaster X-33. http://www.omegawatches.com/index.php?id=297&details=1&ref=32915000&no_cache=1
Omega only sells them on a special-order basis at an extremely discounted price to military pilots or astronauts. As part of the sale, I had to enter into a contract with Omega stating that I would not resell the watch within the first five years of owning it. Since they're a special production watch built after the order is received, the case-back will have my wings as well as my name and Naval Aviator number engraved on the back of it. One major drawback to that is that I now get to wait 3-6 months to receive my prize.

As far as medevacs go, since my last post I flew 9 Medevacs evacuating 10 patients. A few of those had me on the other side of the border. I don't really have any updated photos to put on here, but I should get some before too long and I will post them then.

In other news, Tricia and I are planning to travel back home to the states after I leave here. We'll be flying in to see my dad in Seattle and then driving our way cross-country to Dallas to visit her parents with stops in Utah along the way to visit other family. It promises to be quite the adventure.

Well, thank all of you for your patience with my blog and how bad I've been at returning emails lately. I'll try to be a bit more regular with it from here on out.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, Spencer...we came across your blog and note that you are doing well. Congratulations...we trained you well here in Milton. Sad to hear you are coming as far east as Dallas but can't make it to Milton. Rest assured we will continue to follow your blogs. Love to you all (especially that cute girl Michenna?? who did NOT fall in our pool) Maureen and David Stuckey
david@stuckeyfamily.net

Susan said...

Congratulations on passing your HAC boards. We're proud of you.
Mom and Dad vB

Elvis said...

Studying? STUDYING?! What would the Physics Bunny say? All things considered, I am proud of you, despite the extra work... I bet you look all studly with your extra metal. Hopefully when you're in Utah, we can have a little rendez-vous! Be safe my brotha...