Saturday, September 8, 2007

Another Watch

I'm on another night watch tonight. Fun, fun, fun. Actually, tonight's watch is already starting out differently. First off, there is college football on. That always makes for a good night. Secondly, the squadron is holding a Spades tounament. I have no idea how to play Spades, so I'm not participating. There are about 30 people in here right now playing. Add to that the pilot and crewchief behind me playing football on their PSPs and it's a regular arcade in here. Actually PSPs are fairly common here. Every Sunday the squadron has "SoCom Sunday". If you don't know what that means, ask someone who has a PSP.

I don't know if I mentioned it, but I'm no longer having to walk everywhere I go. When I roommate left, I got his bike from him. It's yellow, says "Husky" on the side, and would probably be described by Liberace as "too gay", but it gets me around and sure beats walking.

It's also starting to cool off considerably. Today it only got up to 110. They're measuring us out for our winter gear now. Seriously. Apparently starting around November it gets cold, wet, and generally miserable here. That's in opposition to the hot, dry, and generally miserable that we've been experiencing up to this point.

I've already talked about how they occasionally like to shut off our water. Well, today they got me. I was showering and noticed that the water pressure was slowly dropping. I tried to race the oncoming dry-spell and lost. I got my hair all nice and lathered up when the water stopped completely. Thankfully, as I've already mentioned, bottled water is more than plentiful here. So I was able to go into my room and grab a couple of bottles to rinse off with. It was the closest thing to a cold shower I've had since I got here. Since all the water is stored in outdoor metal tanks, I've been forced to get used to really hot showers. There is a water heater in our bathroom, but I'm pretty sure it's only there as somebody's idea of irony.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Congrats on the bike. One day we'll get you through drivers ed! Do you want a basket and streamers too? A bell and a horn? Seriously glad you're doing ok though... and I'm glad to hear you're finally showering! Keep safe young Skywalker.