Tuesday, August 14, 2007

The First Medevac

Well, it finally happened. Last night I went out on my first medevac. Here are a bunch of pictures and even a for your enjoyment:
Here I am a little bit after start-up.


We had to pop the hood to troubleshoot our navigation systems before we left. I love the eyes painted on our engine air filters.

On deck while they were transferring the patient into the back of our helicopter. I like this picture because you can see the sunset reflecting off my visor.

The sunset when we landed to pick up the patient. The dust around here makes for some really incredible sunsets.

Some oil wells and a refinery in Southern Iraq. They burn off the fumes and the flames can reach hundreds of feet high.

The red cross on the nose of our helicopter. I thought this was a pretty cool photo.
This is a picture our crewchief took of the tail of our helicopter while we were moving the patient over to an Army medevac helicopter so he could go farther north to the bigger hospital. Notice the flames painted on the exhaust ports?

Double checking the charts before we leave to head back home. You can definitely see that the highly reflective tape on our helmets works. Also, in case you're wondering, the other pilot went to Oregon State University so that's an OSU Beaver on his helmet.

Turning my gear back in after the flight. If you look closely, you can see how sweat soaked everything is. That body armor got really uncomfortable.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Spence-

Nice "cruise-stache" (dirt-stache?).. Glad to see my visors are being put to good use. Lemme know if you guys need anything else..

Master