Well, here I sit on the Fourth of July. I find myself pondering freedom and the general blessing that is living in the U.S.A. This is easy to do since I also find myself sitting behind a desk on a twelve-hour watch.
The other day, we had a Syrian instructor come in to teach us about Arabian and Islamic culture. I have to admit that I was one of those ignorant Americans who never made a distinction between Arab and Muslim. Turns out that there is, but that's a subject for another time. The part of the brief that really got to me was when he talked about his time at the begining of OIF when he worked as a translator for some American Special Ops units in Iraq. The question he says that he continuously had to translate was "Why did you leave us in 1991?" I only hope that this time we can stay the course long enough to give these guys a fighting chance at real freedom.
I know that sometimes it can be seen as hokie, but I truly believe that the U.S. is the greatest nation on the face of the planet. I believe that liberty is the single greatest human need on earth. Food, water, even love can only be partial joys if one is not allowed the liberty to enjoy them. Unfortunately, throughout history there have been many men who have believed that freedom is a benefit that they and their closest allies should enjoy at the cost of all others. When this happens it becomes necessary for men who would much rather be living their lives in peace surrounded by family and friends to take up arms, say goodbye to loved ones, and become warriors. Not all of them will return home. Such is the cost of freedom and it will never be reduced.
I am here because I truly believe in what we are doing. I became a helicopter pilot specifically because I wanted the opportunity to pull somebody out of a bad situation to give them a chance to get back home. Sure, there are dangers involved in that mission, but that's part of the job. I pray everyday that nobody will get hurt; but if they do, then God willing I want to be there to help. So tonight as you drink in good times with friends and family, take just a moment to remember your fellow Americans who are not there with you because they are currently deployed in the cause of freedom. Take two moments for those who will never come back.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Thanks man, for doing your part. I appreciate that more than anything...
It's funny, however, I keep thinking back to 4th's of old and running to the "Boob" Theaters, ordering a Glutton-size Popcorn and drink, (Popcorn Penny has a set of legs!)and catching a flick... something simple, yet something missed even more this year. Keep safe, keep real, and watch out for parakeets.
Clarification - by "Boob" Theaters he means the old "Century Cinemas" on 33rd South and State Street in Salt Lake City, UT. They were twin domed theaters and to a couple of adolescent boys like we were (are)...So don't go thinking that we were going to see "Nudes on Ice" or anything like that. The rest would take way to long to explain.
Post a Comment