So we arrived in Kuwait at about 3 AM. We were met there by a couple of guys from the squadron who then drove us to Camp Beuhring. It took about 1 1/2 hours to drive here. Camp Beuhring is actually not that bad of a place. My room is basically a trailer that has been divided into two equal halves with a bathroom in the middle which is shared among the four guys that live in the trailer. We're actually really lucky compared to other waves that have come out here before us in that our trailers have showers and bathrooms. I guess before they had to go to central facilities to do all that. My roommate is another pilot named Aaron Schaub from Nacagdoches, TX. There is a giant Texas flag on the wall of our trailer. Tricia would be so proud.
The only way to get around here is on foot. Everywhere. I probably walk about 5 to 10 km per day. Somebody told me that to prepare for Kuwait, I should stand in front of my hair dryer at home for about an hour a day. They were close. The other thing they forgot was that you need to add sand to the hot air. Lots and lots of sand.
As most people know, I enjoy really good food about as much as the next guy. Unfortunately here we don't have really good food. We do, however, have decent food and lots of it. The chow hall serves a lunch and dinner menu that rotates weekly and is all you can eat. There is a fresh salad bar, fruit, soft drinks, milk, even ice cream bars. I certainly can't complain.
The base PX (store) is a lot like a really small Wal*Mart. It has most everything for sale, including a lot of stuff that I can't imagine anyone wanting to buy out here. In addition to the PX there is also a Burger King, Taco Bell, Great American Steak and Potato, Nathan's Hotdogs, and even a Starbucks.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment