Tuesday, July 31, 2007

The Alert Again

Well, we ended up not getting a medevac on Sunday. So I still haven't gotten my first medevac. That's OK, though because today I am on first up and it's supposed to be hotter than hot today, so there's always hope. Good golly! I've gotten worse than a personal-injury attorney.

I'm having a bit of trouble actually viewing my blog right now so I won't be able to respond to comments received in the comments section. I will respond here until the situation has resolved itself.

My nephews want to know what the "ZOOM" button does on the helicopter (I guess it shows up in the picture I posted of the outside air temperature). Well, step on over to "Uncle Spencer's Answers Corner" and learn, young padawans. The zoom button is what we use when we get into trouble and need to go really, really fast. It directs the thrust from our engines out the back of the helicopter and propells us forward like a jet. Just like Airwolf! OK, that's a complete lie. I'm sorry. The truth is that the zoom button does...are you ready?...ABSOLUTELY NOTHING! That's right. I can hit that button all day long and nothing will happen except I might be put on some forced R&R. The Navy used a one-size-fits-all approach when they put the displays into our cockpits so there are actually quite a few buttons that are used in other platforms, but have no use in our helicopter. We can zoom in and zoom out on the display, but we use the page up and page down keys to do that -- why would we use a "ZOOM" key for that, right? Even then, it's not that exciting because we don't have any moving maps or video cameras or FLIRs or anything to zoom in on. Sorry it's not more exciting than that, so I'll just stick with my first explanation -- the supersonic helicopter! Note: if anyone wants an in depth and extremely dry discourse on why a supersonic heliopter is actually impossible you need but ask. I am always here to serve. Not everyone at once, please.

By the way, I would like to thank everyone for their support while I'm out here. Yesterday I walked out of here with 4 packages and a huge grin on my face. I will be mailing thank you letters out later today but wanted to thank you all more publicly and immediately. My Blow-Pop woes have certainly been resolved. Thanks to everyone for the emails and prayers and everything, also.

I've been asked if I have a lot of contact with the local population out here. The truth is that I have almost none (except for the civilians that work on base). If you draw a square and label it "Nowhere" we are quite literally in the middle of it. Granted, in this desert there is quite a bit of nowhere to be had. Kuwait city looks lovely from about 500' up. Eventually hopefully I'll get a somewhat more intimate view.

Well, that's all for this session. Keep those questions coming and I promise to answer truthfully at least 40% of the time. Give or take.

No comments: